With support from WIT, FirstEnergy deployed a data discovery dashboard to support workforce personnel planning throughout the enterprise.
Electric Utility Services
Akron, OH – Corporate Headquarters
FirstEnergy Corp is an electric utility involved in the distribution, transmission, and generation of electricity, as well as energy management and other energy-related services. Its ten electric utility operating companies comprise one of the United States' largest investor-owned utilities, based on serving 6 million customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York.
Large utility companies face unique challenges when it comes to workforce and asset management. With hundreds of field crews with equipment across multiple states, workforce planning is a complex task. The purpose of the Workforce Planning Analytical Dashboard was to create enterprise visibility to personnel headcount changes on a daily basis. Key opportunities for this project included:
- Improve visibility into current personnel headcount actuals, budget, and forecast with variances
- Provide enterprise analytics with section-access for users
With WIT’s assistance, FirstEnergy deployed a custom, multi-dimensional dashboard to support workforce personnel planning throughout the enterprise with section access for different types of users.
The Workforce Planning Analytics Dashboard combines multiple data sources to provide visibility into personnel headcount compared to budget and forecast. This dashboard extends reporting capabilities across the enterprise while limited access to specific users to ensure the security of the highly sensitive data. The full view of this dashboard gives planners the tools to quickly view workforce planning KPI’s, drill down into data, and ad hoc reporting. Key outcomes included:
- Gained the ability to track and quantify key workforce planning metrics
- Enhanced existing capability to create multi-dimensional dashboards with aggregated key metrics, drill-downs capabilities, and ad hoc reporting functions
- Extended access to data analytics to the enterprise while protecting sensitive personnel data